Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Best Uses of Google Deskbar

I've been enjoying using Google Deskbar for some time now. So today I thought of sharing some of its uses that I have found.

The best use that I have found so far is to integrate Deskbar with the internal request system used at my current employer. Now to open the request with Id 205 for example, all I need to do is go to the Deskbar that sits in the Windows Taskbar, type 205 and hit Control-R. Deskbar opens request 205 in IE. This offers a great, non-flow-breaking and non-distracting way to quickly look up the request corresponding to a particular Id.

I have also configured Google Deskbar to search CPAN for Perl modules when I hit Control-M and fire a search at Investopedia.com when I hit Control-F.

However if you prefer the command-line, you might find the Perl command-line meta-search engine tool that I had written some time ago useful.

Please leave a comment if you have found a use of Google Deskbar that you would like to share!