Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Longer List of Most Cited Books and Movies

Here is a list of books cited 3 or more times by the people who are at a maximum distance of 2 from me at Orkut.

  1. Fountain head (21)
  2. Da vinci code (16)
  3. The godfather (15)
  4. Catch 22 (13)
  5. Harry potter series (12)
  6. To kill a mocking bird (11)
  7. The alchemist (11)
  8. Lord of the rings (11)
  9. Gone with the wind (9)
  10. Catcher in the rye (9)
  11. Lotr (7)
  12. Five point someone (7)
  13. Love story (6)
  14. The class (5)
  15. Atlas shrugged (5)
  16. Midnight's children (4)
  17. Kane and abel (4)
  18. Siddhartha (3)
  19. Made in japan (3)
  20. Inscrutable americans (3)
  21. God of small things (3)
  22. Freedom at midnight (3)
  23. Doctors (3)

And, here is a list of movies cited 5 or more times by people who are at a maximum distance of 2 from me at Orkut.

  1. Matrix (20)
  2. Life is beautiful (20)
  3. Shawshank redemption (15)
  4. Ddlj (15)
  5. Sholay (12)
  6. Forrest gump (12)
  7. Gladiator (11)
  8. Anand (11)
  9. Lotr (9)
  10. Braveheart (9)
  11. Titanic (8)
  12. Golmaal (8)
  13. Black (8)
  14. Shrek (7)
  15. Notting hill (7)
  16. Godfather (7)
  17. Dil chahta hai (7)
  18. Casablanca (7)
  19. A beautiful mind (7)
  20. Dch (6)
  21. Usual suspects (5)
  22. Saving private ryan (5)
  23. Lagaan (5)
  24. American beauty (5)


Go here, to read how I got these.

Orkut asks people to provide a list of their favorite books and movies in a comma-separated manner in the user-profiles. So what you actually see above are just the strings that occurred most frequently. I just compared the strings in a case independent manner and ignored leading and trailing spaces in strings during comparison. But we need something more than that. I know that "Dch" and "Dil chahta hai" are the same movie, but what would be the best way to incorporate this knowledge into the algorithm. That is an interesting question. People enter data for other humans to read, and not machines.

Why did I filter-out books with a citation count less than 3 and movies with a citation count less than 5? Well, that was just to keep the lists around 20-25 in length in the post. You may mail me at <siddhu AT gmail DOT com> if you would like to get the complete list of books and movies.

Why did I restrict the analysis only to the people who are at a maximum distance of 2 from me on Orkut? Well, that was because there are around 1200 people who are connected to me at a maximum distance of 2 from me. Assuming a time of 1.5 seconds to fetch the profile-page over the network (slow network IO) and parsing it, a total of around 30 minutes would be required for analyzing the profile of all the 1200 people. And 30 minutes was all that I was willing to wait for.

You may also mail me if you want to see the source-code of the Perl script.

BTW, I haven't watched about half of the movies in the movies list, and haven't read even greater number of books in the books list. How about you?

12 comments:

Karthik said...

I'm too lazy to read books...regarding movies,I believe I have seen almost all of them except two:

ShawShank redemption
and Usual suspects.

Sid said...

Shawshank Redemption is a nice movie and I haven't seen Usual Suspects myself.

I was actually quite surprised to find that I haven't seen almost half of the movies in the list myself because I had been believing that I am a movie buff...

OK... I am a movie buff in that I just watched the same movie - Matrix more than 40-45 times... :) No other movie that I have watched has come even close...

Deepa Rao said...

I am an avid reader of books(novels actually).Of the list u have mentioned i have read:
Fountain Head - I loved It
Da Vinci Code - I clinged to it
The GodFather - was good
Catch 22 - drove me crazy (i am still to read it)
Harry Potter series - read all of them n loved them all
Lord of the rings - according to me better to watch the movie
Gone with the wind - tooooo gooood
Love Story - i have read better love stories
The class - was kinda different
Kane and Abel - Good
Doctors - Good


Off the movies List:
Matrix - was good
DDLJ - OK
Sholay - cant remember my first impression
Forrest gump - cldnt bear it
Gladiator - was very good
Anand - too much of sentiment
LOTR - good for one time watching
Titanic - great
Golmaal - lovely anytime
Black - highly appreciable
Notting Hill - one of the most hilarious n touchy love stories i have watched
Dil chahta hai - good timepass
A Beautiful mind - mindblowing
Lagaan - ok to watch once

Sid said...

Hmmm..14 movies and 11 books... Cool! I always knew you're a huge movie buff :)

Deepa Rao said...

Sid,
Please let me know if u happen to have any of the books i havent read , like 'to kill a mocking bird' , 'alchemist' ....'Freedon at midnight' etc .
Wld luv to read them !!!!

Sid said...

I have the Alchemist. Drop by and pick it up from my desk tomorrow.

Sirisha said...

My count is 3 books and 7 movies (includes both dch and dil chahta hai). I had started reading Atlas Shrugged few months back. It is really a great book but I could never complete it. Planning to take it up and complete it.
To eliminate duplicates:
Abbreviations for many of our Hindi movies like KHNH (kal ho na ho), DCH (dil chahta hai), DTPH (dil to pagal hai), DDLJ (Dilwale dulhaniya le jayenge) etc are formed from the first letter of every word (comparison should be case insensitive). There are some exceptions like Kabhi Kushi Kabhi gham (K3H) but this comparison may remove many of the obvious short forms.

Sid said...

Hey Sirisha, nice to hear from you after such a long time. Are you still at Oracle?

I'll incorporate your suggestions with regards to handling abbreviations.

Sirisha said...

Hi!!! I am at Cognizant Technology Solutions, New Jersey now.
I moved to USA in late November 2004.
How is it going on at your end?

Sirisha said...

Hi!!! I am at Cognizant Technology Solutions, New Jersey now.
I moved to USA in late November 2004.
How is it going on at your end?

Sid said...

I completed an year at Shaw on May 03 this year. Life is cool! Hey, you should be more active on cs99_nitw.

So how is USA treating you?

Sirisha said...

Congratulations on completing one year. How was your experience?
USA is treating me well. Summer has started .. so everything has turned green and really looks very beautiful.
Yeah!! Will surely try to be more active in our class group.